Saturday, August 06, 2005

From the LLNL Public Affairs Office

From Secretary Bodman's visit last week. There is mention of LANL towards the end of the piece.

Comments:

Mission accomplished in my mind. Color me gone.

[The secretary was asked about the potential exodus of experienced employees at Los Alamos, in the event there was a change of contract. Acknowledging the high level of “emotion and tender feeling” at LANL, Bodman said competition of the contract to manage LANL is “not intended to encourage people to leave.”]

The competition of the contract sure as heck was not intended to encourage people to STAY either, was it Mr. Secretary. Good luck in your replacement effort. I understand there are crowds of people pouring into our country looking for work, of course the "experience" may not quite match.

oh my, where will bodman find the replacements? The skills are so specialized. You need to be able to operate a glove box, unpack contaminated uranium, store CREM in card board boxes, take handfuls of bar codes for CREM because it is easier than following rules. You are right, it is going to hard to replace those skills.

I have the facts -- and so do you. The facts are that almost all the security infractions and safety episodes at Los Alamos are due to staff thinking they don't have to follow the rules.

Of course, when that is pointed out, the fury of the blog rains down.

LANL and LLNL are like unneeded military bases. Tons of money poored into keeping economies running. Does the nation need LANL or LLNL -- nope. They have SNL, and that is all that is needed. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

6:44 poster.

Do you any any idea what you
are talking about? Do you know
what SNL, LANL, LLNL, Oak Ridge,
Fermi, Slac, INL, NREL, or NIST
do. Get your facts right before you say stupid things.

6:19 poster.

Do you really know what you are
talking about? No I think not. You have to compare directly to
other labs to see if LANL is somehow worse. I think you will
find that we in fact have one of the best records in DOE. I really
hope that people like you are
not working for LANL or any other place for that manner. Try
thinking. It is good for you

To 8/06/2005 05:43:11 PM, don't apply because you don't qualify.

Actually I think 6:19 poster knows exactly what he/she is talking about. If you've worked at LANL for more than a week, you've seen LOTS of people who think the rules are made for others.

7:39 poster

Where are your facts? Are you
just making this up. Let us see the real numbers. I work here and do not see the rules being violated. So one of us is wrong.
Just saying over and over again how bad we are without giving facts is the same thing Nanos did.

Nanos was the best thing that ever happened to this lab. Too bad he never got the chance to "drain the swamp."

facts, you ask for??
last week I saw a person in a rad lab without safety glasses.
I saw another person working with a particular type of acid when it is not authorized by the IWD they are signed onto.
A rumor I heard is that someone in NMT sent a package to sigma without getting it swiped by an RCT.
Shall I continue??
Perhaps it is your first week. Maybe by your second, you will notice what is going on around you

Stop it fools. The Blog is now just a place to embarass all the employees and LANL. Doug, stand up and be a man, and shut off this garbage pail.

God forbid the lab being seen for what it really is....

Poster 8.04 and 8:15.

I think you guys have some kind
of weird agenda and I do not trust a word from you. When I say facts I mean numbers not your personal observations or rumors which should not be trusted. You seem to have some sort of problem. Look if you run the numbers against other labs LANL is good. Do you guys have any idea what goes on in the other places?

Nanos is a criminal and a liar. He cared only about himself. 8:04 poster, what is up with you? Why are you so bitter? Maybe the world was not wrong
and all this time it was you.
Hey is poster 8:04 Tommy Hook?!
That would explain alot.

8/06/2005 08:25:08 PM,

How about if you stand up like a man (or woman) and tell us your real name?

--Doug

For the person who saw all the safety isuues: Did you stop work? You can you know. If you didn't you are the problem.

Did those of you guys, who plan to stay at LANL and be productive, find anything positive in Secretary Bodman's remarks?
Gary

No Gary, nothing. After Nanos
you should not trust anything. That is the true legacy of Nanos.

Okay lets get back on tract.

"Its pretty close to the truth but one really needs to listen to the sound bits from the video. Unfornately no one seems to have the space to post them. I extracted them from the video. To me they still say, " don't let the door hit you in the ass" and by the way "you've had it good for a long time, better then what you would get in the private sector, now its time for a change". One I and anyone who is 50 should not stick around for. Lets give them what they want. A mass exodus in numbers that will boggle their minds. I will be the first at HR LLNL when they give the final cut off date.

Mission accomplished in my mind. Color me gone."

It is time to let DOE have what they want. Clear the labs for the new generation and lets see where it goes. I have a feeling that they will not build anything. It will be all about theory and modeling. After all, didn't you know that the world is at peace and that no one would ever consider droping another nuke. That's not politically correct.

Ladies and Gentlemen who are age 50, lets leave and never look back. It is time. There is another life outside of those secure walls and it time to enjoy it.

"How right you are. Nukes are the past generation. Biological weapons are way cheaper, and that's what we should fear. Or maybe we should just go home."

Biological weapons are way cheaper, and that's what we should fear.

Any fool that does not fear a biological weapon is in deed a fool. As far as I am concerned they are far worse then a nuke.

As I said we are in for some bad times. We haven't seen nothing yet. It may get to the point where the only way to stop the spread of a germ is to use a nuke for it heat. Lets hope not.

Regardless the world is changing and we are going to self distruct anyway.

Retire and get away from any populated area. Head count is all the opposition cares about. They have no real goal other then to cause fear and disrupt the economy. Its politics at it best to say the least.

Look no futher then the middle east to see what we are in for, unless someone developes a virus that attack muslems only. Any volunteers.

Sorry I got off topic.

50 + and leaving it behind. All should follow.

The comments today seem ironic given the current Hiroshima observations. LANL is self-destructing, a deliberate act by the posters here. I hope all the venom-spewers enjoy their product. You all really do look like fools who cannot even tell when they are being goaded by outsiders on this blog!

"The comments today seem ironic given the current Hiroshima observations. LANL is self-destructing, a deliberate act by UC Management here. I hope all the venom-spewers enjoy their product. You all really do look like fools who cannot even tell when they are being goaded by outsiders on this blog!

"I cannot wait to see the reactions when the new contractor arrives in December and begins announcing the managerial, programmatic, operational, and personell changes it will begin making. All rice bowls will be overturned and you better fasten your seatbelts! (This is independent of who wins the contract.)"

All that you are saying it that everything we are predicting is absolutely correct. There it is, in two sentences. Bottomline: Over 50+ pull the plug ASAP

If you have any facts. Give them to us.

There is a petition on here to UC President Dynes to remove Nanos. How about seeing how many people would sign a petition on here to Bob Dynes asking him NOT to take Doug Roberts back as a Lab Associate? We, the people of Los Alamos, wish to terminate our relationship with DR permanently because of the damage he has done to our fine, hard working lab and its people with his cowardly blog. And yes, I will remain anonymous, just like the Nanos petition signers. If one doesn't remain anonymous here then the whiners and chronic, congenital complainers will villify you! Personal, anonymous attack from the blogers is worse than any management backlash! Tom Bowles and Dave Sharp are hard working people who care. Someone please draft a petition to NOT take Doug Roberts back as a lab associate!!!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be...The People cannot be safe without information. When the press is free, and every man is able to read, all is safe."

- Thomas Jefferson

So let me see if I understand you correctly, 8/07/2005 09:15:16 AM: Because Doug Roberts provided a way around the censorship at LANL, you think he should not be rehired, is that about right?

You sound like a Bush-class right-wing Republican fundamentalist Christian! We could use fewer of your type at the lab.

This BLOG is not about blasting someones shorts but about our concerns of LLNL and LANL retirement and just what are we going to do when the hatchet falls. It is going to fall so get use to it. Make plans and pull the plug. Let there be a mass exodus of all 50+ years old. Please

To 9:24, Attack anyone who thinks Doug is not a hero = censorship of your own. Why not put up the petition and see which way the votes go? How about a petition to close down this site and see which way the employees vote on that?

Sure, why not? Write up the petition, brave anonymous poster of 8/07/2005 10:28:30 AM, and I will be happy to post it.

--Doug

To 10:28: "How about a petition to close down this site and see which way the employees vote on that?"
What??? Nobody is forcing you to visit this blog!

Sure, I'll be happy to put up a petition for shutting the blog down too.

One condition though: the author of the petition needs to sign it, and submit it to the blog for submission. It it's professionally written, I'll post it.

--Doug

9;24 I am a Christian and I am offended by your remark. This blog should not support antreligious hate mongering. You need to learn more from Thomas Jefferson. People came to this country fleeing religious persecution. Los Alamos is here to protect that, not attack people because of their religion.

8/07/2005 10:42:21 AM, I am a Muslim, and I am offended by *your* remark.

Infidel Dog.

11:13, you should probabaly brush up on your spelling skills before attempting to climb that carreer ladder at LANL.

Note the following:

Your \Your\ ([=u]r), pron. & a. [OE. your, [yogh]our, eowr,
eower, AS. e['o]wer, originally used as the gen. of ge,
g[=e], ye; akin to OFries. iuwer your, OS. iuwar, D. uw, OHG.
iuw[=e]r, G. euer, Icel. y[eth]ar, Goth. izwara, izwar, and
E. you. [root]189. See You.]
The form of the possessive case of the personal pronoun you.
[1913 Webster]

you're - Contraction of "you are". This is no doubt what you meant to say in your (note the correct usage here) comment.

I would say the person who really made the blog is Nanos not Doug. UC left Nanos in way to long. We were never given any information about if and when he was leaving untill the end. No statements where ever made that "Nanos was wrong and it was a great mistake to fire him in Aug" I think deep down inside almost all the people at LANL are still very bitter about the whole thing and who can blame them. In the end LANL is a great lab. We do a great job all around. Compare us to any other lab with real numbers and you will see.
This is why the people are so confused. Really none of us did anything wrong. We do a great job and work hard. Than we are treated this way. What do you think that will do to people over time?

"If your 50+ and do leave the lab, do not worry there are people like me who are ready and willing to do your job and move up. It's supply and demand, the lab will up salaries and and they will come. Everybody can be replaced and if you think your the only one in the world who can do what you do, I'd check your ego at the door as well. I hope the next manager does clean house...there are way to many chiefs and not enough indians."

If you think that LANL or LLNL is going to raise salaries for anyome then you are in for a big surprise. As it stands as of today and I am an employee management is doing everything they can to cut wages and rank people 1-N to justify it. The have prepared the 1-N ranking to rank their best employees from the worse employees so that when given direction from the DOE or UC that there needs to be a RIF it will easy to draw that moving seperation line where ever they feel fit. So hold on to that dream and wishful thinking and stand by at the front gate with your employment application in hand.

If for some reason they do give you a 700 - 1000 dollar a month raise it will only be because you'll have to pay your own medical and that my friend makes your raise which doesn't count towards retirment and is taxable a "wash"

As far as mis-spellings. Who cares. As long as one gets the point across as I just did....

As far as being 50+ I persoanlly am just doing time at the lab and counting down the DTG ( days to go ). The atomic clock software on my machine reminds me on a daily basis of just how long I have to fredom.

Enjoy your new job and the contraactor change every five years. Hope you are flexible, thoughtful and compassionate.

Moving UP

"If your 50+ and do leave the lab, do not worry there are people like me who are ready and willing to do your job and move up."

Sounds like to be you have a large set of knee pads or are one of those who will go to the top via the peter principal. Either way if you don't have 20 years experience as an experimentalist, notice I said experimentalist, you have nothing to offer. Desk jocks are worthless to say the least. It is however the way the labs are going which is exactly why the labs are going to close. Once they become think tanks, it's all over but the crying.

Enjoy my man, enjoy

Message for this fine Sunday on the blog: Everyone who isn't me sucks. Desk workers are worthless. Experimentalists are dumb. T division blows. No wait that's X. Or C or MST or NMT or whatever division that one guy I hate works in. Management is all corrupt. And SUP and HR, etc etc etc
And folks, when someone says they are willing to do your job and you reply that they better have a big set of knee pads, that doesn't say much about your job skills.

Yikes! The signal-to-noise level of the blog seems to have hit a new low
this week. Must have something to do with "Hiroshima Weekend". I suspect
some sophisticated trolling activity is being performed on this blog. It may
be time for the regulars to consider taking a short vacation.

Mr. Bodman,

It takes over two years to get a Q clearance, so I hope you hired all these people one year ago!

[If one doesn't remain anonymous here then the whiners and chronic, congenital complainers will villify you! Personal, anonymous attack from the blogers is worse than any management backlash! 8/07/2005 09:15:16 AM]

Oh come on, 9:15! Consider the source. It is not as painful as it appears. Being right ameliorates the sting of the criticism.

The worst times are the infrequent times when a formerly-valued associate cannot meet my eyes. Then my disappointment is poignant.

Straighten your back and do what is right.
Gary

"Mr. Bodman,
# posted by Anonymous : 8/07/2005 07:08:14 PM"

Maybe there will be no need for people with Q clearances, after all the labs will not be building much of anything.

Regardless once everyone that is over 50 are gone they won't even know what to do. Compound that with not having a mission and I would say its going to be a long time before they get back on their feet. By that time people in much higher places will still be scratching their heads wondering what happened. Maybe the labs will be good for studing the stars.

I wish them well. Can't wait until Sept 28th 2007.

Click the "Current Graph of Hits" link on the right side of the blog page.
Then go to "Location Tracking" (bottom of page) and click "Time Zones".
As of right now, I'm seeing a definite increase of hits coming from the
Chinese time zone. Interesting, no? I think this blog is getting some
special visitors of late.

Wow, what paranoia. Didn't realize that the spooks had taken over LANL that much!

Like what has been said before--SHUT THE PLACE DOWN.

SHUT THE PLACE DOWN.

Good idea. However can you explain why that would be a good thing? I mean someone needs to work on the weapons. The US also needs to keep up on science. LANL also educates countless people who go all over the US in Unversities and the other labs. That loss will be very big and will hurt the US in so many ways. Look I have no problem with Sandia or LLNL, but in terms of the big impact on the US they really do not compare to LANL. Everywhere I go, every university department I visit has had someone who has spent time at LANL. This is every department. You cannot say the same about Sandia or LLNL. Also in terms of impact on science in the US again LANL is huge. If you shut the place down you only weaken the US.

Now I ask what is your alternative? Build a new lab?
To all the people who say over
and over SHUT THE PLACE DOWN,
I ask why? If you look at our saftey record we are better than the other labs. If you look at our security record we are still way, way better than the rest of the outfits in the US. Look at the CIA and how many security violations it has. And for the big one, we still need nukes kid. Once these are gone or we
lose the ability to make them
than it is game over. Since WWII the world really has been in the
longest period of peace. Now when the US no longer has the edge another nation will rise,
it is just the nature of things.

is a great asset to the US. I am very proud to be part of it and
can think of no better DOE lab or goverment orgazition that I
would want to be part of.

LLNL Ranking System

This equation should be taught in all math classes!

From a strictly mathematical viewpoint it goes like this:

What Makes 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%? Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%. How about achieving 103%? What makes up 100% in life?

Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

is represented as:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:
H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K
8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

and
K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E
11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But,
A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E
1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,
B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T
2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far ass kissing will take you.
A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G
1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty that while Hard Work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, it's the Bullshit and Ass Kissing that will put you over the top.

"The attacks on LANL have been baseless and driven by politics only. If you say shut down the place let us have the real facts as to why. LANL has some of the greatest people in the world and
is a great asset to the US. I am very proud to be part of it and
can think of no better DOE lab or goverment orgazition that I
would want to be part of."

I do not believe that they will shut down LANL at all. I really think that the best thing DOE could do is close NIF tomorrow, transfer the Pu facility to LANL and move the valuable employees they want to keep from Livermore to LANL. Turn LLNL into an Institute / Think tanks and everyone including the surounding residents will be satisfied