Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Snow Days

From Anonymous:

   To: 
From:
Subject: Snow Days!
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:02:36 -0700
Sender:

I thought I would pass along the thoughts we went
through during the last two mornings.

Monday am we made the call about 4:20 to delay 2
hours. I went over to the EOC and worked with the staff there. We had one
roll over accident that closed the truck route before 8:00, about 8:10 we
had a van run off Pajarito Rd. and almost at the same time there was an
accident on Trinity at DP road. As we were trying to decide whether to open
or delay we had all three routes into the lab closed or would be closed to
clean up accidents. As I was getting ready to make the call to Ed Wilmot to
close, the State Police closed NM 502 due to a truck that had jack knifed.
At 8:30 am there was no way to get into Los Alamos. We were also very
concerned about how to get people out of the lab as everything froze at
closing time.

This am we made the call to delay 2 hours at about
4:00 am. About 8:20 we made the decision to cancel due to the almost
impassable conditions on SR 30 from Espanola and the poor conditions on US
84/285 and the closure of I25. At 8:30 we were also projecting we would
have less than 50% of the parking lots cleared and sanded by 10:00 am.

As people ask about why we were closed given how
clear the roads were each afternoon please pass the word.



Comments:
Thanks for sending this. The decision is a hard one and snow days cost the Lab I know. However, there seemed to be a great probability of a serious accident if you had decided to open the Lab. I know the fear of that must weight heavy on you when you make the decision. I do appreciate the explanation.
 
Thanks for sending this. The decision is a hard one and snow days cost the Lab I know. However, there seemed to be a great probability of a serious accident if you had decided to open the Lab. I know the fear of that must weight heavy on you when you make the decision. I do appreciate the explanation.
 
Thanks for sending this. The decision is a hard one and snow days cost the Lab I know. However, there seemed to be a great probability of a serious accident if you had decided to open the Lab. I know the fear of that must weight heavy on you when you make the decision. I do appreciate the explanation.
 
It's about time that LANL took the safety of it's members more seriously. We should have had at least a couple of two hour delays before this. I was under the impression that they didn't care how many of the workers were badly injured or even killed, as long as we didn't get an "undeserved" day off.
 
I don't see how anyone could question the closure on Tuesday. I-25, 84 and 502 were closed most of the day. It wasn't safe to be out and driving around until later in the day around LANL, and not safe to drive on 84 until Wednesday.
 
May be we can make a deal, give us back our 9-80s, and when, and if we get a snow day off, on any day, Monday through Thursday, we then have to come in on the scheduled Friday off, unless Friday is the snow day, then it's just bad luck.
 
Two snow days in a week, then you are lucky, and LANL does care about you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?